Assistant Principal, Secondary
Company: Young World Physical Education
Location: Newport News
Posted on: April 2, 2021
Enter your email to receive job alerts when new jobs like this
one are posted. My Email Job Description Job Summary Position is
responsible for assisting the school principal in the planning,
organization, administration, and management of an assigned
secondary school. Position assists with supervision of staff,
creating a safe environment, monitoring instruction and other
duties associated with the successful operation of a secondary
- Assists the secondary school principal in the general
administration of the school.
- Assists with interpreting and enforcing all school board
policies and administrative regulations.
- Assists in establishing the school's student discipline plan
and the school's plan for ensuring a safe and orderly
- Assists the school principal in ensuring that the school's
policies and procedures related to student discipline referrals and
discipline action plans meet state, federal, and division
- Assists the secondary school principal in the supervision and
performance evaluation of staff assigned to the school.
- Assists in collecting and reviewing data regarding the school's
performance and in planning with the principal for continued
- Assists in the child study and eligibility process.
- Performs classroom observations and conferences with teachers
to improve the instructional program.
- Coordinates the preparation of student discipline review
documents as required by School Board policy.
- Conferences with parents/guardians of students concerning
discipline, attendance, behavior, and student academic
- Conferences with students referred for violations of the Rights
and Responsibilities Handbook, administers disciplinary action as
necessary, and notifies parents/guardians of action taken.
- Consults with student services personnel to find long term
solutions to inappropriate student behavior.
- Provides professional development for the instructional staff
and other assigned personnel regarding school improvement,
classroom management, effective discipline strategies, and other
topics of need and interest at the school.
- Monitors halls, school grounds, and pupil movement to ensure a
smart, safe environment at the assigned school.
- Attends and supervises after-school, evening, and weekend
school sponsored events and activities as assigned.
- Directs the development and implementation of Student Success
- Seeks ways to develop and sustain a climate of mutual respect
between and among the students and adults who participate in the
- Prepares related reports and records as required by the school
division, local, state, or federal government.
- Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities. Minimum
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required) Must
possess a Master's degree and be eligible for a Virginia
Postgraduate Professional License in administration and
supervision. Must possess at least three years of successful
experience as a teacher with some experience at the secondary
school level. Must demonstrate excellent classroom management
skills and effective disciplinary strategies and techniques. Must
possess a comprehensive knowledge of the current issues,
principles, and practices in public school secondary school
education and the ability to apply them to the needs of a school.
Must possess the ability to assist with leading and managing an
effective secondary school. Must possess the ability to plan and
supervise the work of others. Must possess the ability to establish
and maintain effective working relationships with students,
parents, staff, and the public. To view the full job description,
please visit the link below: This job description in no way states
or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this
employee. The Assistant Principal, Secondary will be required to
follow any other instructions and to perform any other related
duties as assigned by the Principal or appropriate administrator.
Newport News Public Schools reserves the right to update, revise or
change this job description and related duties at any time.
- Position Type: Full-time
- Job Category : Administrator > Assistant
Equal Opportunity Employer 0 Contact Information The content you
submit, offer, contribute, attach, post, or display (each a
"Submission") will viewed by other users of the service who may or
may not be accurately representing who they are or who they
represent. Do not include any sensitive data in your submissions.
Any submission or any use or reliance on any content or materials
posted via the service or obtained by you through the use of the
service is at your own risk. "Sensitive data" for purposes of this
section means social security or other government-issued
identification numbers, medical or health information, account
security information, individual financial account information,
credit/debit/gift or other payment card information, account
passwords, individual credit and income information or any other
sensitive personal data as defined under applicable laws.
Keywords: Young World Physical Education, Newport News , Assistant Principal, Secondary, Education / Teaching , Newport News, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!