Safety & Environmental Engineer II
Company: Canon USA & Affiliates
Location: Newport News
Posted on: September 18, 2022
OverviewAre you interested in growing your career with one of
the leading global manufacturers as a Safety & Environmental
Engineer? As Canon Virginia transforms in into Canon Americas
Regional Technical Headquarters, we are seeking a motivated and
driven individual to join our Canon family. Our innovative company
is rapidly expanding, and we are eager to find the right person for
this position!In this role, you will promote worksite safety and
regulatory compliance by applying knowledge of industrial
processes, mechanics, chemistry, industrial health and
safety/environmental laws. Develops, implements, maintains and
monitors safety programs, policies and practices adhering to local,
state and federal laws.Responsibilities
- Collaborates with manufacturing and process engineers to
identify potential hazards and determine hazard control measures
during the design/installation of new and/or the modification of
existing equipment and processes.
- Recommends process and product safety features that will reduce
employees' exposure to chemical, physical, and biological work
- Conducts and documents equipment and process pre-acceptance
- Provides safety expertise and advises engineering and
manufacturing groups on regulatory and consensus standards (OSHA,
EPA, DOT, NFPA, ANSI, and ASTM), safety engineering principles, and
best practices for controlling hazards in production
- Develops, researches and communicates safety engineering
technical guidance documents to engineering groups and project
teams as needed.
- Partners with project and work area teams to apply technical
knowledge of safety and environmental engineering principles to
mitigate hazards and improve processes and work areas from a
safety, health, and environmental standpoint.
- Serves as Safety Department representative in support of
engineering during design and Process Hazard Assessment (PHA) work
sessions for future manufacturing equipment/lines and
- Provides expertise and leadership in the development and
implementation of Management of Change (MOC) programs and program
documents applicable to chemical manufacturing, tooling, inject
molding, and reverse engineering (parts harvesting and recycling)
- Participates in work area safety inspections and 6S program
audits, to include environmental and waste management aspects.
Completes inspection reports, follows up with work area
representatives to resolve any noted discrepancies, and verifies
completed actions on close out reports.
- Conducts safety training classes, to include Control of
Hazardous Energy (Lockout/Tagout), Confined Space Entry Program,
Fall Prevention and Protection Systems, Electrical Safety,
Combustible Dust and Static Control Measures.Qualifications
- Requires a Bachelors Degree in Safety, Environmental, Science
or related Engineering field and 2-5 years experience providing
safety and environmental engineering support or consulting.
- Knowledge of Federal/State/Local regulations with regard to
safety and environmental issues (e.g., OSHA, NFPA, EPA, DOT).
- Knowledge of machine guarding (fixed and adjustable guarding
techniques, interlocks, light curtains and pressure mats).
- Experience with point of operation, ventilation engineering,
noise abatement techniques, engineering fall protection systems and
hazardous/non-hazardous waste management practices a plus.
- Strong communication, organization and interpersonal
- Experience with Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Certification in First Aid/CPR/AED, Blood Borne Pathogens, and
DHR, General Industry Standards preferred.
- Certification in Hazwoper 24 or 40 hour and DOT Hazmat Employee
- Professional certifications such as F.E., OHST, ASP, CSP a
- Must be 18 years of age or older to apply.PLEASE NOTE: As a
federal government contractor, we comply with all applicable
federal laws, regulations, orders and mandates.Company
OverviewAbout our Company - Canon Virginia, Inc. located in Newport
News, Virginia is a global manufacturer for Canons office and
consumer products. Our innovative and efficient production methods
along with our environmental commitment make us a leading global
manufacturer. Since opening our doors in 1985, Canon Virginia has
provided world class manufacturing services. It is the policy of
Canon Virginia, Inc. (CVI) to provide equal employment
opportunities without regard to race, creed, color, age, sex,
religion, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status,
national origin, or physical/mental disability except where there
is a bona fide occupational qualification. This policy relates to
all phases of recruitment, employment, compensation, benefits
administration and participation in company sponsored employee
activities. This includes hiring, promotions, demotions, transfers,
layoffs, recall, training and terminations. Employment practices
will conform to all federal, state and local laws on
)#LI-CVPosting TagsPM22Location US-VA-Newport NewsCompany Canon
Virginia, Inc.Requisition ID 26407Category
Environmental/SafetyPosition Type Full-Time
Keywords: Canon USA & Affiliates, Newport News , Safety & Environmental Engineer II, Engineering , Newport News, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!