Manager, Food Safety
Company: Canon Virginia, Inc
Location: Newport News
Posted on: May 16, 2022
The Food Safety Manager implements and maintains food safety
policies and procedures for maximum operating efficiency and
compliance; manages and develops direct reports for optimum
- Responsible for performance and activities of direct reports to
include allocation of workload, goal setting, coaching, training
and providing continuous feedback. Oversees and provides clear
direction on assigned work.
- Develops personnel to ensure efficient and highly skilled
workforce to meet the department and organizational
goals/activities; recommends training, assigns projects, and
provides other avenues for employee development opportunities;
provides constructive feedback and coaching to members when
necessary to encourage professional development.
- Assigns or delegates responsibility for specific projects, tasks
or assignments; provides clear direction and continuous feedback,
resolves problems, prepares work schedules, establishes objectives
and sets deadlines to ensure completion of operational
- Promotes teamwork and collaboration between subordinate employees
to promote knowledge sharing and increase department morale.
- Conducts performance management activities, counsels, and advises
subordinates concerning performance. Monitors and documents
employee performance for annual performance review.
- Initiates, recommends, and approves personnel actions such as
hires, promotions, transfers, and discharges for area of
responsibility based on departmental/organizational needs.
- Works with recruiting during the hiring process (i.e. reviewing
resumes, participating in interviews, providing timely feedback,
etc.); acclimates new hires; assigns, directs and evaluates their
work; provides continuous feedback.
- Adheres to all state and federal employment laws.
- Acts as the PCQI (Preventive Controls Qualified Individual) for
- Manages other personnel and lab testing members as appropriate
and insures required certifications are maintained.
- Creates, validates and maintains the Food Safety Plans for all
- Ensure that all Food Safety Plans are reviewed per procedure.
- Ensures that processes and procedures are in place to ensure food
- Performs training for the facility.
- Manages environmental control plans for the facility.
- Oversees the bioburden program.
- Performs food safety audits as required.
- Prepares and provides updates to Management.
- Acts as the Regulatory Representative for Food products.
- Maintains FDA and State Certifications.
- Ensures compliance with all safety regulations and ISO
- Confirms Foreign Supplier Verification activities.
- Develops Food Defense Plans.
- Develops/implements methods for product testing.
- Responsible for coordinating environmental testing; reviews and
- Evaluates current procedures and practices of the department in
order to develop and implement process improvements. Develops and
implements profit-making and/or cost-saving ideas.
- Coordinates activities of the department with interrelated
activities of other departments in order to complete projects that
meet company objectives.
- Determines tactics for meeting operational objectives and
mobilizes resources accordingly.
- Bachelor's Degree in Food Science, Biology or Microbiology
preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience
and 10+ years' experience, preferably in a manufacturing
environment, and 2-5 years supervisory experience.
- Strong analytical and communication skills (both written and
- HACCP and PCQI Certifications
- Certified in Food Defense
- Experience with Food Safety GFSI Certification Schemes ISO 22000
- Ability to effectively manage teams.
- Expert understanding of qualifying engineering sciences.
Keywords: Canon Virginia, Inc, Newport News , Manager, Food Safety, Executive , Newport News, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!