Floating General Manager
Company: InTown Suites
Location: Newport News
Posted on: November 14, 2023
The Floating General Manager is responsible for the operation of an
individual property to which they are temporarily assigned.
Assignments to individual properties are made by the Regional
Operations Manager to provide coverage to General Managers for off
days, vacation days, or other General Manager absences. The
Floating General Manager will also be given short-term assignments
across all the properties in their assigned market which may
include duties such as local marketing, property staff training,
and performing quality assurance improvements as directed by the
Regional Operations or Area Manager. The Floating General Manager
will be required to travel 90% of the time to different locations
within their market, and may be required to stay overnight at these
I. Position Responsibilities: Essential
- Operates properties in the absence of a General Manager as
- Follows General Manager Daily Flow when acting as a General
- Develop expertise on computer operating system.
- Assists in recruitment of General Managers and other property
- Training, development and support of property staff.
- Drive sales through sales calls and other local marketing at
the direction of the Regional Operations Manager.
- Ensure and provide excellent guest service.
- Identify and manage repair and maintenance issues.
- Identify and follow up on life/safety issues and inspection
- Notify Regional Operations Manager immediately of any safety,
security and/or violations of policy.
- Notify Regional Operations Manager of any guest concerns.
- Monitor competitors in markets as directed by the Regional
- Helps meet budgets through effective cost and inventory
- Helps properties maximize financial performance.
- Travel and/or overnight stay will be required. II. Essential
- Possess a valid driver's license, current auto insurance and a
- Read, speak, write and understand the English language in order
to interact with guests, staff, handle administrative duties,
- Ability to read, understand, interpret information found in a
variety of reports and other internal hotel information. Sufficient
mathematical skills to prepare forecasts and reports, calculate
room revenue, average rate, occupancy percentage and labor costs,
count and balance a cash bank, etc.
- General computer proficiency.
- Possess thorough knowledge of Front Office and related
department operations, service standards and techniques, guest
relations and etiquette, up selling techniques, in order to ensure
the effective operation of the front office and related departments
(examples include providing high level of service, effective staff
training, proficient problem solving, effective cost controls,
- Possess the knowledge and ability to perform a variety of front
office and related positions in response to business
- Ability to compose and express thoughts in a clear and
understandable way to ensure effective communication.
- Ability and flexibility to work long hours on a regular basis
and as business conditions demand.
- Ability to manage multiple activities often in stressful
- Ability to organize oneself, and one's work and the efforts of
- Ability to make effective judgment on all facets of front
office operations and staff, and the ability to effectively solve
guest and operational problems. III. Preferred
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to
graduation from high school and any other combination of education,
training or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills
- High school diploma preferred but not required.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in management. Supervisory
experience required. Experience levels required might vary based
upon the size, volume and character of company. IV. Mental and
- Indoor work with hard and carpeted surfaces.
- Standing for eight (8) hour shifts.
- This position is occasionally required to sit; climb or
balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must
frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift
and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by
this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision,
peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust
- Exposure to extreme weather conditions, cold and heat.
- Extensive use of hands and fingers for manipulation of
keyboard, answering phone calls (100% of the time).
- Use of computer terminal, which requires extensive eye contact
with a video display terminal. Travel Demands:
- Travel 90% of the time to different locations within the market
and may be required to stay overnight at these locations.
The Company has reviewed this job description to ensure that
essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is
intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the
employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not
intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions,
responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and
requirements may be assigned by managers/supervisors as deemed
appropriate. This document does not represent an expressed or
implied contract of employment nor does it alter your at-will
employment, and the Company reserves the right to change this job
description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the
Company may deem appropriate.
Keywords: InTown Suites, Newport News , Floating General Manager, Executive , Newport News, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!