Company: Newport News Public Schools
Location: Newport News
Posted on: January 7, 2022
Position is responsible for performing professional nursing care
and providing health care services to students and staff in a
public school setting. Position organizes the health clinic at the
assigned school; performs and interprets health screenings and
medical examinations; assesses student health needs; administers
emergency care / first aid treatment; provides health counseling;
and conducts related workshops. Provide a safe and healthy
environment in order to maximize students' potential to learn.
- Must have graduated from an accredited school of professional
nursing with some work experience as a Registered Nurse.
- Bachelor's degree in nursing preferred.
- Must be licensed, or eligible for licensure as a RN by the
Virginia Board of Nursing. Must possess current CPR
- Must have knowledge of professional nursing principles,
practices, and techniques within a public school environment to
include knowledge of human anatomy, physiology, child
growth/development, basic pharmacology, medical terminology, and
infection control measures.
- Must possess the ability to organize a clinic and supervise
- Must possess the ability to manage the health of students and
exercise judgment in the application of nursing care.
- Must possess skills in standard nursing procedures and the
ability to perform/interpret health screenings and physical
- Must possess the ability to maintain comprehensive health
records, prepare clear/concise medical reports and use appropriate
- Must possess excellent interpersonal and communication
- Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective
working relationships with students, staff, parents/guardians, and
outside agencies. For a complete job description visit
apply for a position online, please visit nnpsjobs.com. Job
- Essential Duties
- Organizes the health clinic at the assigned school and
supervises the daily activities of assigned treatment nurses and
- Evaluates the health status of students at the assigned school
by performing health screenings, tests, and physical examinations
(i.e. vision, hearing, dental, scoliosis, and blood pressure) and
interprets/communicates findings to students, parents/guardians,
and school personnel.
- Provides direct nursing care to students and staff by
administering medication, immunizations, first aid, emergency
health care, and nursing care prescribed by a medical provider; and
accompanies students to the hospital as necessary.
- Observes students on a regular basis to monitor illness and
provide early detection of communicable diseases, child abuse,
substance abuse, mental illness, depression, eating disorders,
chronic illness, and physical defects; makes referrals to other
professional staff members and community agencies as needed; and
communicates findings to parents/guardians as appropriate.
- Improve attendance by reducing time lost to illness and
- Reports suspected cases of child abuse and neglect through the
- Serves as liaison between the school and family physicians to
promote effective patient case management.
- Enforces established infection control policies and procedures
on the exclusion and readmission of students with infectious and
- Provides health counseling to individual students and
parents/guardians regarding disease, emotional distress, pregnancy,
and other health related issues as appropriate.
- Acts as member of the eligibility/child study team and assists
with formulating an appropriate health care plan for special needs
and medically fragile students at the assigned school.
- Maintains compliance with Individualized Education Plans (IEP)
/ Individualized Health Care Plans (IHP) and may perform
specialized nursing care such as catheterizations, suctioning, and
- Serves as a resource to teachers and staff at the assigned
school regarding the health needs of students and recommends
modifications of the student's educational program/environment as
- Participates in school based committees regarding the health
and wellness of students to include crisis team and the substance
- Provides health educational materials and presents at workshops
to students, staff, and parents/guardians on such topics as first
aid, sound health/nutrition, eating disorders, Bloodborne
pathogens, and proactive strategies for achieving and maintaining
good health in children.
- Ensures that sanitary standards of the school's health clinic
are being met and maintains OSHA standards regarding Bloodborne
pathogens and other potentially infectious body materials.
- Assists school personnel with inspecting the assigned school
for health/medical hazards; and recommends appropriate corrective
- Maintains proper documentation and health records on all
students within the assigned school, prepares/submits reports as
required, and utilize the nursing components of the ESIS computer
- Complies with laws, regulations, protocols, and School Board
policies/procedures as they apply to school health services.
- Requisitions needed supplies and equipment for the health
clinic at the assigned school.
- Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities. (These
are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work
performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them
from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical
assignment to the position.)
Keywords: Newport News Public Schools, Newport News , School Nurse, Healthcare , Newport News, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!