Medical Assistant Certified Occupational Health
Company: Bon Secours Mercy Health
Location: Newport News
Posted on: January 8, 2022
Thank you for considering a career at Bon Secours Mercy
Health!Summary of Primary Function/General Purpose of Position
The Medical Assistant Certified is a multi-skilled clinical
professional that provides indirect and/or direct patient care
within the scope of practice and in alignment with the standards of
excellence and quality. Under the direction of the provider, the
Medical Assistant contributes to the completion of the patient's
chief complaint (including, but not limited, to respirations, blood
pressure, pulse oximetry, height, weight, and temperature),
documents patient/family needs, participates in planning and
implementing care for patients, and administers ordered medications
(oral, injection, topically, etc.) within the Medical Assisting
scope and state guidelines.
Essential Job Functions
- Understands and adheres to the legal responsibilities and
requirements within the Medical Assistant role.
- Identifies significant changes in patient condition through
data collection and reports them to the provider.
- Troubleshoots issues and escalate problems to provider, direct
supervisor, or appropriate internal resource.
- Demonstrates standards of excellence in care in all
interactions, for both internal and external customers.
- Maintains clinical and administrative skills per the
departmental competency guidelines to meet patient care and daily
- Show patients to examination rooms and prepare them for the
- Travels to other facilities for BSMH providers or adjusts hours
to meet patient care needs as directed by the practice manager as
- Maintains a safe and supportive environment by keeping the work
area, exam rooms, and equipment in clean, orderly, and safe manner,
ensuring availability and proper functioning of supplies and
- Assists patient and provider with virtual health visits which
may include setting up the visit through appropriate platform,
pre-charting the virtual visit prior to the scheduled appointment,
contacting the patient to ensure preparedness for the virtual
visit, troubleshooting virtual visit issues when needed, obtaining
chief complaint and health maintenance checks, medication review,
and other relevant patient details prior to the actual virtual
- Documents in electronic medical records (EMR) accurately and
- Manages in basket messages in the electronic health record
(EHR) under the Provider's verbatim instructions.
- Performs front desk workflows (i.e., My Chart requests, patient
registration, scheduling, phone triage, cash handling, and
- Follows up on orders, appointments, referrals, and follow up
visits and collects co-pays as needed.
- Other duties include, but not limited to, ordering supplies
appropriately, tracking referrals, labs and diagnostic tests,
disposing of contaminated supplies, etc.
This document is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities,
skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with
the job. Employees may be required to perform other job-related
duties as required by their supervisor, subject to reasonable
Active Medical Assisting certification (required): Certified
Medical Assistant (American Association of Medical Assisting),
Registered Medical Assistant (American Medical Technologists),
Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (National Healthcareer
Association, or National Certified Medical Assistant (National
Center for Competency Testing) or Nationally Registered Certified
Medical Assistant (NCRMA) (National Association for Health
Professionals . If incumbent is unable to obtain MA certification,
an Assessment-Based Recognition in Order Entry (ABR-OE) is
BLS Basic Life Support (preferred upon hire, required within 90
days of hire)
High School/GED (required)
1 year of medical assisting experience in a healthcare setting
2 years of clerical physician practice experience (preferred)
- Record patients' medical history, vital statistics, or
information such as test results in medical records.
- Interview patients to obtain medical information and measure
their vital signs, weight, and height.
- Prepare and administer medications as directed by a
- Collect blood, tissue, or other laboratory specimens, log the
specimens, and prepare them for testing.
- Provide authorized prescription and drug refill information for
pharmacies as directed by provider.
- Explain treatment procedures, medications, diets, or
physicians' instructions to patients.
- Clean and sterilize instruments and dispose of contaminated
- Perform routine laboratory tests and sample analyses.
- Perform general office duties, such as answering telephones,
taking dictation, or completing insurance forms.
- Successfully completes skills or competency checklists to be
able to help physicians examine and treat patients, performing such
tasks as handing them instruments, giving injections, removing
sutures, changing dressings on wounds.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to collaboratively work with patients, families, and
teams within a high-volume environment.
- Medical terminology
- Attention to detail
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to use standard office equipment (i.e. computer,
copier, phone, fax machine)
Periods of high stress and fluctuating workloads may occur
May be exposed to physical altercations and verbal abuse
May be exposed to adverse weather conditions; cold, hot, dust,
May be exposed to limited hazardous substances or body fluids*
May be exposed to human blood and other potentially infectious
May have periods of constant interruptions
General office environment
Required to car travel to off-site locations, occasionally in
adverse weather conditions
- Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal
precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and
learn the policies concerning infection control.
Lifting/Carrying (0-50 lbs.) 1-33%
Lifting/Carrying (50-100 lbs.) 1-33%
Push/Pull (0-50 lbs.) 1-33%
Push/Pull (50-100 lbs.) 1-33%
Additional Physical Requirements/Hazards
Manual dexterity (eye/hand coordination)
Maneuver weight of patients
Hear alarms/telephone/audio recorder
Reach above shoulder
Repetitive arm/hand movements
Acuity - far
Acuity - near
Use of latex products
Exposure to toxic/caustic/chemicals/detergents
Exposure to moving mechanical parts
Exposure to dust/fumes
Exposure to x ray/electromagnetic energy
Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care
appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her
Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development
of the life span and possesses the ability to assess data
reflective of the patient's status and interprets the appropriate
information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative
to his or her age, specific needs and to provide the care needed as
described in departmental policies and procedures.
Neonates (0-4 weeks)
Infant (1-12 months)
Pediatrics (1-12 years)
Adolescents (13-17 years)
Adults (18-64 years)
Geriatrics (65 years and older)Bon Secours Mercy Health is an equal
opportunity employer.We'll also reward your hard work with:
- Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
- Prescription drug coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance w/AD&D
- An employer-matched 403(b) for those who qualify
- Paid time off
- Educational Assistance
- And much moreScheduled Weekly Hours:40Work
Shift:Days/AfternoonsDepartment:Occupational Health - Mary
Immaculate - Hampton RoadsAll applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, color, national origin,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic
information, or protected veteran status, and will not be
discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you'd like to
view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for
Mercy Health - Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours - Franklin,
Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are
Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employers, please email
firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are an individual with a disability
and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the
employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition
Team at email@example.com.
Keywords: Bon Secours Mercy Health, Newport News , Medical Assistant Certified Occupational Health, Healthcare , Newport News, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!