Vacuum Systems & Mechanical Assembly Technician
Company: Jefferson Lab
Location: Newport News
Posted on: September 20, 2022
As a matter of corporate policy, all JSA employees are required to
be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful hires will be
required to provide COVID-19 vaccination verification as a
condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized
exemptions to the COVID-19 vaccination.
Posting Date: 07/28/2022
Salary Range: $69,600 - $94,800 (T/D III)
Work Location Type: Dedicated On-site (100% working on-site)
Come join our team at Jefferson Lab, where great minds matter.
What your job will be like:
At Jefferson Lab, the Center for Injectors and Sources (CIS) is
responsible for building electrons guns and injectors at our
premier accelerator, the Continuous Electron Beam Accelerator
Facility (CEBAF), two research accelerators the Upgraded Injector
Test Facility (UITF) and Low Energy Research Facility (LERF) and an
electron Gun Test Stand (GTS). Our Accelerator division is seeking
a Vacuum Systems & Mechanical Assembly Technician. Come and join
In this role you will:
* Procure raw materials, vacuum equipment (pumps) and components,
hardware, etc. This involves requesting quotes and coordinating
with procurement and shipment and receiving offices.
* Coordinate fabrication of parts and components with the lab
machine shop and/or with external providers.
* Q&A fabricated parts against manufacturing drawings.
* Test fit manufactured parts per assembly drawings. This may
involve coordination with Survey and Alignment (S&A) and
iteration with ME and the machine shop.
* Polish and assemble gun electrodes per clean room procedures.
This may involve mechanical polishing by hand prior to coordinating
the use of the tumbler polisher.
* Clean gun electrodes and parts following vacuum practices. This
will involve coordinating with the production chemical cleaning
* Coordinate the vacuum degassing of gun electrodes and gun related
parts with the vacuum furnace lab.
* Coordinate installation of the gun vacuum chamber in a beam line
per guidance from CIS coordinator.
* Assist with vacuum work to establish and characterize gun vacuum
* Assist with vacuum baking setup work, and with monitoring baking
and vacuum conditions.
* Assist with gun vacuum characterization after baking and with
housekeeping activities in preparation for gun commissioning.
Qualifications We Require:
* Relevant AS Degree*
* 7 years of relevant experience*
* Or an equivalent combination of relevant education and
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
* Able to provide input to schedule development (identifies
conflicts and develops solutions)
* Knowledge of various hand tools, power tools, precision
measurement devices, and safe practices
* Ability to interpret mechanical drawings of parts and
* Understanding of vacuum systems and associated practices
* Ability to perform mechanical assemblies in an accelerator
* Ability to obtain and keep current all safety training relative
to work activities
* Ability to interpret and apply work control documents
* Able to take direction and carry out assignments independently
and in cooperation with peers and supervisors
* Able to understand and carry out instructions, ask questions, and
report to supervisor clearly on problems, progress and status
* Significant latitude in choosing work methods
Qualifications We Desire:
Education and Experience:
* Experience with compressed gas handling systems
* Experience with high voltage (more than 1000 volts direct
current) power supplies
* Experience with the use of Windows-based computers and
proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel is desired
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
* Demonstrated skills in ultra-high vacuum systems and
About Jefferson Lab
Join a community with a common purpose of solving the most
challenging scientific and engineering problems of our time. The
Jefferson Lab campus is located in southeastern Virginia amidst a
vibrant and growing technology community.
A career at Jefferson Lab is more than a job. You will be part of
"big science" and work alongside top scientists and engineers from
around the world unlocking the secrets of our visible universe.
Managed by Jefferson Science Associates, LLC; Thomas Jefferson
National Accelerator Facility is entering an exciting period of
mission growth and is seeking new team members ready to apply their
skills and passion to have an impact. You could call it work, or
you could call it a mission. We call it a challenge. We do things
that will change the world.
Total Rewards at Jefferson Lab
At Jefferson Lab, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits
program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation
employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not
* Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
* Flexible Spending Accounts
* Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (Paid Parental, vacation,
holidays, and sick leave)
* 401(k) Plan - 9% Lab Contribution; 100% vested
* Flexible Work Arrangements (Remote & Alternate Work Schedules
* Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development
* Live near the waterways of the Chesapeake Bay region with access
to nearby beaches, mountains, and all major metropolitan centers on
the East Coast
Jefferson Science Associates, LLC (JSA) manages and operates the
Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility (Jefferson Lab). JSA
is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in
hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion,
ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, ancestry, age, disability, or veteran status or on any
other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law. As part of
the JSA's equal employment opportunity policy, we also take
affirmative action as called for by applicable laws and Executive
Orders to ensure that minority group individuals, females, disabled
veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans,
Armed Forces, and qualified disabled persons are introduced into
our workforce and considered for promotional opportunities.
JSA is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for persons
with disabilities (unless doing so will result in an undue
hardship). If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of
the employment process, please send an e-mail to employment @
jlab.org or call (757) 269-7598 to provide the nature of your
request. Reasonable accommodations are considered on a case-by-case
Employment with JSA is conditional upon DOE approval if at any time
during your employment you are participating in a Foreign
Government Talent Recruitment Program or Affiliated activity.
Generally, such programs/activities include any
foreign-state-sponsored attempt to acquire U.S.-funded scientific
research through programs run or funded by the government that
target scientists, engineers, students, academics, researchers, and
entrepreneurs of all nationalities working or educated in the
United States. This includes positions or appointments, both
domestic and foreign, titled academic, professional, or
institutional appointments whether or not remuneration is received
and whether full-time, part-time or voluntary.
Keywords: Jefferson Lab, Newport News , Vacuum Systems & Mechanical Assembly Technician, Professions , Newport News, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!