Decision Science Analyst Lead
Location: Newport News
Posted on: November 7, 2019
Purpose of JobCANDIDATE MAY WORK IN THE SAN ANTONIO HOME OFFICE,
ANY REGIONAL OFFICE AND/OR REMOTE
Provide decision support for business areas across the enterprise.
Staff in this area will be responsible for applying mathematical
and statistical techniques and/or innovative /quantitative
analytical approaches to draw conclusions and make 'insight to
action' recommendations to answer business objectives and drive
change. The essence of work performed by the Decision Science
Analyst involves gathering, manipulating and synthesizing data
(e.g., attributes, transactions, behaviors, etc.), models and other
relevant information to draw conclusions and make recommendations
resulting in implementable strategies. Serves as a coach and
mentor; and provides guidance to cross-functional team members to
ensure success in achieving business objectives.Job Requirements
- Leverages expert business/analytical knowledge to lead
discussions with cross functional teams to understand and
collaborate highly complex business objectives and influence
- The business problems analyzed are typically large scale with
significant impact to current and/or future business strategy.
- Organizes and oversees the development of
requirements/resources necessary to meet objectives.
- Applies innovative and scientific/quantitative analytical
approaches to draw conclusions and make 'insight to action'
recommendations to answer the business objective and drive the
- Translates recommendation into communication materials to
effectively present to all levels of management.
- Incorporates visualization techniques to support the relevant
points of the analysis and ease the understanding for less
- Identifies and gathers the relevant and quality data sources
required to fully answer and address the problem for the
recommended strategy through testing or exploratory data analysis
- Integrates/transforms disparate data sources and determines the
appropriate data hygiene techniques to apply.
- Thoroughly documents assumptions, methodology, validation and
testing to facilitate peer reviews.
- Subsequent analysts should be able to rely on documentation to
replicate and continue work.
- Monitors, understands and adopts emerging technology that can
affect the application of scientific methodologies and/or
quantitative analytical approaches to problem resolutions.
- Succinctly delivers complex analysis/findings in a manner that
conveys understanding, influences senior executives, garners
support for recommendations, drives business decisions, and
influences business strategy.
- Recommendations typically have a major impact on business
- Provides subject matter expertise in operationalizing
- Bachelor's degree in Economics, Finance, Statistics,
Mathematics, Actuarial Sciences or other quantitative discipline (4
years work experience in statistics, mathematics or quantitative
analytics or related experience can be substituted in lieu of a
degree in addition to the minimum years of work experience
A Master's Degree in quantitative analytics or a related field
A PhD in quantitative analytics or a related fieldMinimum
- If Bachelor's degree, 8 or more years' experience in a decision
support analytic function.
If Master's Degree, 6 or more years' experience in a decision
support analytic function.
If PhD, 5 or more years' experience in a decision support analytic
- 3 or more years of direct and/or indirect management
- Demonstrates expert skills in mathematical and statistical
techniques and approaches used to drive fact-based
- Successful completion of a job-related assessment may be
required*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job
level*When you apply for this position, you will be required to
answer some initial questions. - This will take approximately 5
minutes. - Once you begin the questions you will not be able to
finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your
- Ability to understand systems
- Experience pulling data together, from various sources, for
- Experience analyzing data to identify trends and anomaliesThe
above description reflects the details considered necessary to
describe the principal functions of the job and should not be
construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements
that may be performed in the job.At USAA our employees enjoy one of
the best benefits package in the business, including a flexible
business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical,
dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building
programs. - Additionally, our career path planning and continuing
education will assist you with your professional goals.USAA also
offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you
manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two
company stores and three fitness centers.Relocation assistance is
not available for this position.For Internal Candidates:Must
complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date
of placement), or must have manager's approval prior to
posting.Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is
11/04/19 by 11:59 pm CST time.
Keywords: USAA, Newport News , Decision Science Analyst Lead, Professions , Newport News, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!