Job Listing: Sales Director
Company: Virginia Association of Museums
Location: Newport News
Posted on: November 22, 2021
Virginia Living Museum--- Newport News, VA General Statement of
The Sales Director provides the leadership to maximize revenue by
leading the sales of museum experiences, products and rental
spaces. The director also imagines and leads the development of
marketable and exceptional programming and experiences to support
the Museum's mission. This is accomplished in coordination with all
Museum departments and staff. This position recognizes the capacity
to achieve greater results by integrating skilled volunteers and
leveraging their diverse knowledge and abilities. The position is
under the direct supervision of the Chief Operating Officer.
- Bachelor's degree required, Business/Management or Marketing or
- Three years' experience in management, sales/customer service
and budget preparation.
- Creative, results driven, high performer with service
- Sales oriented. Ability to sell the museum, museum activities,
and sound alternatives to fit varying situations and
- Energetic, enthusiastic personality, able to take initiative
and work independently and follow up with potential clients.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal
and facilitation skills with multiple levels of external partners,
customers and internal staff.
- Energetic, constructive attitude with ability to view
opportunities for a variety of perspectives.
- Thorough understanding of and demonstrated success in
motivating people and performance.
- Experience in managing staff, including hiring, training and
- Must be able to remain calm, make sound decisions and provide
clear directions in a crisis situation.
- Ability to work independently, displays sound judgment,
discernment and discretion. Duties and Responsibilities
- Be a positive, enthusiastic representative of the Virginia
- Enhances the guest experience:
- Leads the development of exceptional programming and
- Actively promotes a guest-centric culture throughout the
- Ensures the museum store has merchandise to delight the guests
and the community
- Leads and cultivates the group sales program for the Museum.
Maximizing revenue by meeting or exceeding annual rental and group
sales goals, developing and implementing strategies to increase
tourist interest and visitation to further the Museum's mission.
This includes familiarization (FAM) tours, trade shows and
marketplaces. Involves some overnight traveling.
- Develops, fosters, and manages the Museum's facility rental
business for private and corporate functions by fostering strong
professional relationships with regional and national tour
companies, associations and special interest groups - area
Convention and Visitors Bureaus, other museums and area hotels to
maximize Museum's contacts and visitation. Professionally handles
all contracting issues for rentals including, but not limited to,
preparing contracts and handling money transactions. Works within
an approved pricing framework and gets senior management approval
for contracts. Keeps detail records of contracted events including
revenue, expenses and profits.
- Develops monitors and evaluates the retail pricing structure
throughout the museum. This includes tickets, events, rentals,
memberships, experiences, and items sold in the museum store. Gives
expert advice to Senior Leadership.
- Develops sales strategies and sets internal revenue goals for
all revenue generators.
- Provides leadership in developing museum wide programming to
enhance the guest experience, including additional guest engagement
opportunities and various guests celebrations such as birthday
parties. Stays current with offerings from other like
organizations. Works with the Marketing Department to determine the
appropriate marketing to solicit clients and visitors.
- Develop annual plan of departmental goals and objectives,
prepares and adheres to department annual operating budget.
- Hire, train, supervise and schedule staff including the Museum
Store Buyer and Event Coordinator. Leads by example and provides
feedback on staff performance using the Museum's performance
appraisal system. Follows museum safety rules and procedures;
ensure staff is following as well.
- Strategically utilizes and manages volunteers and their
applicable skills to strengthen the Museum's mission and commitment
to the community.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work schedule flexibility to travel and manage events on
weekends and evenings.
- Must be able to hear and speak clearly.
- Physical requirements include medium work, exerting up to 40
pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force
frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move
- Must be able stand and move about on foot to accomplish
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push, pull,
lift, grasp, feel, and utilize repetitive motions.
- Must have close visual acuity to operate a motor vehicle and
perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data,
transcribing, viewing a computer, and extensive reading.
- The position is subject to environmental conditions for
activities occurring indoors and outdoors. Supervision Exercised:
Museum Store Buyer, Event Coordinator & Event Staff
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the
only duties to be performed by this employee.The Sales Director
will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform
any other related duties asassigned by the appropriate
Supervisor/Director. The Virginia Living Museum reserves the right
to update, reviseor change the job description and related duties
at any time. Qualified applicants please submit a VLM application,
cover letter, resume and references. No phonecalls, please.
FAX: 757-534-7419 Physical Address: 301 North Sheppard Street /
Mailing Address: 3126 West Cary Street #447
Richmond, VA 23221 VAM supports over 3,000 members, including
individuals, businesses, and--institutions ranging from historic
houses to botanical gardens, aquariums and zoos, art museums and
galleries, battlefields, military museums, historical societies,
and more. #vamuseums Homepage Photo Credit: Library of Virginia
"Virginia. Discovered and Discribed by Captain John Smith 1606.
Graven by William Hole 1624--by John Smith"
Keywords: Virginia Association of Museums, Newport News , Job Listing: Sales Director, Sales , Newport News, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!